Level 1 Mathematics
Teacher in Charge: A. Soupen
This course consolidates and extends the work undertaken in Years 9 and 10, and is designed to build students Numeracy levels to Level 6 or above by the end of the year.
Skills developed in the course:
- Gathering and processing information
- Problem solving
- Communication of mathematical ideas
This course consists of 6 Achievement Standards that cover the key basic mathematical concepts of Number, Algebra, Statistics and Probability.
Course description/aims: The aim of the course is to introduce and develop basic mathematical skills, concepts, and understanding in the Mathematical Strands of Processes, Number, Measurement, Geometry, Algebra and Statistics. The ultimate aim is to gain NCEA Level 1 and University Entrance Numeracy. The course objectives are that the candidate will be expected to:
- Apply mathematical skills, concepts, and understandings in real and simulated problems.
- Demonstrate the ability to select and use appropriate mathematical techniques in problem solving.
- Demonstrate the ability to reason logically and systematically.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate mathematical ideas.
Upon the successful completion of the course of study, students may study NCEA Level 2 Mathematics. However for some students, this is a terminating course and will provide credits towards Numeracy only.
NA - However, students will have chance to buy write on work books at around $7.50 each fro each standard.
WE advise that students purchase a Casio Scientific calculator.
Recommended Prior Learning
Total Credits Available: 18 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 4 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 14 credits.
The courses we offer are reviewed regularly and are subject to change.